I’ve made a promise to myself that I will pass on this information for all cat owners out there. Lilies kill cats! If you are a cat owner, please keep lilies out of your home. I have 2 cats, so when I saw this poster in Pinterest I pinned it, but never thought much about it. Until a week ago. It started when I was just underwent a sinus surgery thus have to rest at home for 10 days and got this beautiful flower bouquet from my office colleagues. When hubby brought the flowers home, being under medications and was not fully attentive to the flowers itself and more interested in the cards, I was not aware that it’s an arrangement of lilies (among other flowers..). So my husband (who didn’t know about lilies poisoning at that time) put them in a vase, left it on the table and took a shower while I was reading the card comments and thinking ‘Oh! I have to take pictures of the flowers along with the cards, post it on Facebook to say thank you to my colleagues!’ and that’s when I really saw the flowers. And there, sitting gracefully on the table, the beautiful lilies was looking back at me. I was stunned. Especially because my 2 cats lingered around the flowers and we both can’t say for sure that they were not chewing on the foliage or the lilies for that matter. (They love greens to chew, and sometimes I give them vegetables when I cook)
Minutes after that we’ve frantically searched through the internet to find information about lilies poisoning symptoms and I started to cry and cry and cry.
And that very moment, one of my cats threw up. My heart sank. I was so panicking and sad.. hubby and I knelt down and saw that the vomit was actually a slender stem of little tiny white flowers..
I felt relieved a little bit (still worry though!) because it seemed that he ate the tiny little flowers and not the lilies. The lilies was tall and has been put at the top center of the arrangement so I am hoping that none of them had a chance to lick/sniff/chew on the lilies or the foliage.
It was a horrendous time (days!) for us of making sure that both cats were not affected by the lilies. We are still monitoring them and so far they don’t have any poisoning symptoms, they are as cheerful as they always have and their appetites also looks normal. It was so close!! I had a life-flashing-before-my-eyes moment at home last week when I nearly lost my cats for good just by letting lilies into our home. Lesson learned, that will never happen again. I am pretty shocked to learn that most of flowers and lots of plants are poisonous to cats!!
After some searches I stumbled upon these webpages about poisonous foods/plants for pets that I also would like to share the links with you:
Hope this information helps! So cat owners.. beware and please pass on the poster to the world, we can save lots of cats from foods/plants poisoning!